Monday, May 28, 2012

Trial and error


22 May 2012

Peace Corps project #1:
Tree nursery establishment and management for local schools.
Sesbania seedling growing strong!

This project was given to me by my supervisor who casual asked if I would help prepare the schools establish individual tree nurseries. He told me that I was assigned to 6 different schools and that I should report back to him in 1 week. Even then I knew that he was under estimating the workload, but I gave it my best shot. Four months later, I have successfully help to build tree nurseries at 4 schools and have been working to manage and advise 6. Daily I average 5 miles of walking back and forth across town and to nearby villages to visit schools and help motivate them. Most of my time is spent talking about instead of physically working in the nurseries. That’s the culture here. It has taken a long time to get to know the teachers, school directors and students. Getting acquainted is equally important as each tree seedling that survives.


My high schools girl students helping to fill poly pots to transplant.
For a while I began to feel deeply discouraged by the lack of progress I was making. After the seeds were sown I felt a big sigh of relief, only to discover that the teachers thought the work was over and neglected to water and weed the seed beds regularly. Some schools never built a proper fence as they promised. Others began to remove fencing and shade structures after they were built because they didn’t understand how they helped to protect the seedlings. They told me they thought the shade structures were blocking too much sun and water; when in actuality seedlings need shelter from excessive sun (which will burn them and desiccate the soi)l and direct water (which can uproot and drowned them). GRrrrrr! For a while I considered abandoning certain schools whose nurseries were failing. It seemed logical to devote my time only into the schools that were more invested. After a few afternoons of isolation I calmed down and realized that if I lost motivation how could I expect the schools to stay interested?

Lesson #231 of my PC experience: Set the example you want others to follow.

High School boys filling poly pots at the tree nursery.
I returned to the schools and have been working a few hours in the morning at one school and a few hours in the afternoon at another. If teachers and students help me I am grateful, but I don’t expect them to. I’m making progress and I’m hoping that the outcome will impress people enough that they’ll be more motivated next year. We’re going to sell out seedlings for 2 or 3 birr each. Students have suggested that we can use the money we earn to help less fortunate students purchase books and uniforms. Worst case scenario: If only enough seedlings survive to earn enough money to help 1 student (roughly 70 seedlings at each school: around 170 birr) then I will consider it a success.

Lesson #232: “success” is a subjective term and its standard of measurement changes frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment