Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A new approach to body modifications

17 October 2012


was just another relaxing morning, oatmeal and fresh coffee and milk for breakfast when I received an exciting phone call: “B, you must come to the high school. We are washing our hands! Come now!!” before I could resolve my confusion Thomas hung up.

It takes me nearly 20 minutes to walk to the high school and I thought by the time I clean up, get dressed and walk across town the hand washing would likely be over and done with. I considered not going, but then again it had to be something worthwhile if I received a phone call and personal invitation. So I went.

Apparently October 15 is “International Hand Washing Day.” A few Non-governmental organizations were holding an event at the high school to teach the students about the importance of using soap while washing our hands. Ideally, the students would be persuaded and share the information with their parents and neighbors. The celebration included a trivia game where students would answer “true” or “false,” a comedy skit, and a hand washing competition. I repeat, a hand washing competition.

No I am not making this up.

In the VIP guest area I sat absolutely stunned by the reality of it all. Here I am 1 year into my volunteer service thinking worthwhile conversations consist of the following phrases:

 “Deforestation is a serious problem in Ethiopia”
“If you plant more than one crop you will have more financial stability”
“Gender equality is important”
“If you remove the debris and wax from your honey you will get a better profit”

When in reality, a simple message regarding how anti-bacterial soap will reduce the risk of contracting amoebas, giardia, typhus, and dysentery is not that simple at all. These are all very common illnesses throughout Ethiopia. This is not widely accepted or understood information.  Again, I am blown away by the amount of things I take for granted.

One of the high school biology teachers explained to me that even with his profession and educational background some of his family members do not easily accept his advice regarding good hygiene and sanitation. He blamed culture for making people stubborn and unwilling to accept new information. He provided me with another example of bad culture, a subject I often want to discuss but am afraid to bring up: female genital mutilation (FGM).

Unfortunately this has occurred in Ethiopia for many generations though it was recently made illegal and denounced by the government. Now slowly people are changing and it is not as common. He told me that 2 of the 3 women in his family (immediate or extended I do not know) have been cut. The last girl was spared because it is now understood that this practice is bad. So I asked why a country full of religious zealots could believe that God or Allah would make females imperfect. Well, apparently if women aren’t circumcised their excessive sexual energy will increase the likelihood that they may speak up against their husbands, throw dishes around the home, not be subservient or remain monogamous. I imagine that American movies only confirm these misconceptions.

Feeling more perplexed then I was during the hand washing competition I asked “Has anyone considered the consequences of men’s excessive sexual energy?” That it might explain the bad cultural practices of having more children than you can afford, polygamy, kidnapping girls in order to marry them against their will or marrying and impregnating girls that are 18 years and younger….

“No, of course no one thinks about these things” was his response.

On a positive note, I may have been on national television for demonstrating my awesome soap lathering skills. Just another day in the life…

No comments:

Post a Comment