Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Site placement


As highlighted by Lonely Planet:

“As you approach the park ridges to the east are punctuated with fortresslike escarpments, while those to the north are more gentle, their rounded rock pinnacles dotting the ridges like worn teeth protruding from an old man’s gums. Within the park, rivers cut deep gorges; alpine lakes feed streams; and water accepts gravity’s fate at several waterfalls. The Bale Mountains are known for their endemic wildlife, particularly the Ethiopian wolf (the world’s rarest candid) and the mountain nyala. Other large mammals commonly seen include grey duikers Bohor reedbucks and warthogs.” Several cats (including leopards and lions), spotted hyenas, colobus monkeys and Anubis baboons are also seen in Bale Mountain National Park.

Between the ridges of heather, lobelia-trees and baboons you will encounter my future homestead! Peace Corps has been generous enough to give me possibly the most coveted placement in my group BALE NATIONAL PARK! (but that goes without saying I have a generous bias.) A small town of 15,000 that sits 30 km east of Bale National Park, but the park boundaries do not limit the flora or fauna. I am also close to Shashemene, Ethiopia’s largest Rastafarian community and near Awasa where I will find my ferenji groceries! This is all tucked into the Oromia region, which is known for its ethnic diversity, trekking, hot springs, wildlife and part of the Rift Valley.

If you were on the fence about coming to visit me I would suggest you start booking your ticket. I’m in one of the few areas of Ethiopia that is better prepared for tourists! Now is your chance to see one of the remaining 500 Ethiopian wolves and ME before I go M.I.A. in Ethiopia for eternity. Every week in Ethiopia I am given one more reason to smile a little bigger and walk a bit lighter. Everywhere I look is beaming with beautiful scenery, friendly strangers and life at its most simple and endearing form. I’m anxious to see where I fit in with all of it.
Nani and me!

My mom, sister and the cutest baby EVER!

My sister and Aunt!

Bunna ceremony at my house!


My homestay sister has been teaching me some Ethiopian dance moves. She is patient with me as I ask her to slow down, rewind and teach me I gift I was NOT born with, unlike her. Sometimes her hands grab my neck/shoulders/arms and physically move my body in rhythms and directions I wasn’t aware they could go. Her eyes get really big as she (occasionally) gasps “GOBEZ!” (clever), but I can’t tell if she’s referring to my improvement or just that I’m a Caucasian and starting to dance like an African (probably the later).Different regions of Ethiopia have their own unique dancing styles. I prefer the Southern jumping and kicking, but you can’t escape the shoulder shaking. Ethiopian’s throw their shoulders and torsos in a style that would make Shakira’s hips look geriatric. I have vowed that despite endless potential for public humiliation I will learn how to dance like an Ethiopian.  Good thing I have 26 more months to practice!

2 comments:

  1. I know internet availability is spotty at best but I check your blog daily hoping for more of your terrific narrative and photos. Thank you for sharing! I miss you and think of you often. As soon as you get a mail address I will start sending packages. Love and hugs, Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhhh, the dance moves. After learning about shoulder shaking in Philly, I'm sure you are happy to get to move other body parts. Bale National Park sounds amazing. I can't wait to come and visit. Enjoy and explore safely.

    ReplyDelete