Tuesday, October 4, 2011

The beginning of a love affair



I arrived at my hotel in Philadelphia feeling far from home, but not that much closer to Ethiopia. The details about where I will live or my job description were still vague, but
As I stepped out of the taxi I was approached by a friendly bellman. As he was running down his list of polite questions about how I was, where I’m from he learned that my final destination is Ethiopia. His eyes met mine in shock as he declared “I AM from Ethiopia!”
Up until this point I had not even met an Ethiopian and now I was miles from home, but already making friends. Mesfin reminded me that Ethiopia is the best country in Africa, most friendly people and the food is delicious. Meron, the barista was also from Ethiopia and before I knew it everyone in the lobby knew my name, my mission and offered their friendship. I was sent away with e-mails and phone numbers of family members in Addis Ababa to welcome me.
I spent the weekend with my lovely Aunt LouAnne and cousin Lindsey. I come from a small family FULL of incredible women and these two are no exception. I wish we could spend more time together and the next and only time I come home during my service will be to enjoy Lindsey's wedding and celebrate with my crazy, fun family. I cannot wait to have fun with these ladies again. 


Training was a lot more fun that I thought it could be. There are only 20 of us and we are all in conservation and natural resource management. This is a uniquely small and homogenous group for PC. We heard that recently a group of 97 left for Ukraine. Already I know everyones names, where they are from and that we all get along. Again, how lucky am I?



As more time passes, my excitement grows and I am shocked at my lack of nerves and anxiety. A lot of my peers share my concerns and enthusiasm which is a great comfort to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment