Monday, July 30, 2012

Sticks and stones, cows and toothbrushes


13 July 2012


This afternoon I was visiting with my favorite neighbors who live two compounds down from mine. This family has always been very warm and welcoming to me. They live in a house that is no larger than 6 x 10 ft but 6 people live there, 4 kids (ages 6-16) and two adults. Despite how cramped the space is, their house is definitely a home. It is so cozy inside and I love to hang out, drink tea and practice English and Oromifa with the kids. Today I noticed that one of the boys was suddenly missing a front tooth! He’s too old for it to have been a baby tooth so I knew there was a good story behind its disappearance. As the story goes, two drunk men were fighting in the street and he was an innocent bystander. One of the men picked up a rock to stone the other but his poor aim sent the rock flying into the mouth of this kid who was merely watching. I asked if the men had paid the family some sort of compensation for his tooth and was told that they were given 800 birr, about $47. The family took him to the dentist where the broken tooth was removed and the rest of the money went towards buying a new calf which will bring the family more income in the future. I did also notice a few weeks ago that the family had acquired a sheep, and I was curious to know how, but after learning about how the calf was bought I would rather not inquire. Who knows what bizarre incident occurred before they encountered the money to make such a large purchase.

Since we were on the topic of teeth I told them to excuse me while I ran home. Inside my house I gathered some toothbrushes and tooth paste that my grandma and dentist had sent me from Oregon. The American in me had been nervous about handing them out as I feared it would imply that I thought the recipients were somehow inadequate; when in actuality I know that these types of items are expensive and for many families buying them would mean prioritizing among other more important purchases such as school supplies and food. I returned with the gifts in hand and felt like Santa Clause. There was a lot of clapping, smiling, squealing and selfish grabbing and hoarding. They were so excited to have toothbrushes! They even sang me songs about using a toothbrush though they had never owned one before. We practiced together, discussing how frequently they should brush, which teeth to not forget, why brushing is important and they gave me hugs and said thank you in their very best English. I even helped Zerihun (the youngest) by brushing his teeth for him, but for fear that I would gag him I instructed him on how to brush his tongue. It was quite a bonding moment for us and more than ever I am considering the family’s offer that I take Zerihun home with me to America (not really, but it is tempting as he is really freaking adorable!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment