Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The people that you meet when you're walking down the street!


5 July 2012


In public I am called at by at least 1/3 of the people that see me. After 9 months I’m finally fairly gracious about how I handle all the attention. Most of the time when I have the energy I respond, but I am guilty of ignoring the more obnoxious or ridiculing comments. Here are some of the names I am called, in order of popularity:

B
Fereng
Feregitti
China
Booti 
YOU!
Anchi! 
“Uhhhh”
Mister
Sister
Habasha
Budget
Bridget
British

After such charming titles these demanding or inquisitive phrases follow:

seena” (come inside)
quarta me” (come to me)
Shy bunna dugdhee” (come drink coffee or tea)
How is the life?”
Are you fine?” (often followed by a creepy eyebrow raise)
Neh Anchi!” (come girl)
Essa baade?”  (where did you disappear to?)
Biyya barrate?” (are you familiar with the country?)
Where where do you go?” or “essa demta?”
Where where do you come?”  or “essa dufte”



No comments:

Post a Comment