Friday, December 23, 2011

Life at Site


22 Dec 2011
A walk through the countryside near my town 

Being at site so far has been refreshing, but adjusting to my new reality and the expectations that follow can make things slightly overwhelming at times. Fortunately, I am well practiced at relentless optimism and now is now is no exception. Here are a few reasons why life in Ethiopia is rewarding:

-          I live in an observatory, with no admission fee or business hours. Every night I walk out my front door and am nearly blinded by millions of stars whose brilliance always out-competes any light pollution from town. Also, the moon sits at a 90° angle different from that at home. Instead of a crescent shape as it waxes and wanes the moon in Ethiopia smiles.

-          At market I can buy 20 mangoes for a little over $1. The same great deal goes for oranges, avocados and bananas. Or I can go to the “mana jusii” and by a 100% fruit smoothie (no water added) for 9birr which is about $0.53.

-          Living in my bungalow of a room is sort of intense, like camping. I haven’t had the money to buy sheets or blankets so every night I bundle in my wool socks, long underwear, beanie and down jacket.  It’s really quite cozy.

-          Time is abundant and slow, which means I can call it a day whenever and spend my time cooking, reading, writing or playing the harmonica. I’ve even grown to enjoy washing my laundry which takes at least 2 hours for a small amount of clothing.

-          Now that I’m at site I can heat up my own bath water! Bathing is me crouching in a bucket pouring water over myself. It’s not that awesome, but having warm water makes a difference.

-          Also, at my site I can cook for myself! No palm oil 3x a day!! So far I’ve made dishes that include some combination of pumpkin, kale, sweet potatos, tomatoes, black beans, mung beans, onions, garlic, rice, couscous and avocados. Many spices are limited thus far to curry, pepper, cinnamon and salt. If you are interested you can send some more spices way! With a ziplock bag they could fit in regular envelope.

-          My compound mates are incredible! I live with 2 young ladies Salomnwit and Taayoich. These ladies are really intent on helping me improve my language, and I appreciate their patience. They are also brave enough to eat my ferengi cooking and also share with me. The other day Salomnwit knocked on my door and offered me a cup of fresh honey. She wanted me to eat it all right then and there! I had one spoonful and explained that it was too sweet for me to eat more than one. A very unusual but generous offer. We have a momma cat with a frisky orange kitten that share the compound.

-          My counterpart Zewditu is also a highlight of my site. I love that we can speak Spanish together. She always shares resources with me and encourages me to get involved and she also stands up for me. She is the best counterpart/neighbor/mother figure/ friend I could have asked for!
Where I sleep

Kitchen and front door

Front door to my room-house

No comments:

Post a Comment