Friday, December 23, 2011

Official PCV

17 December 2011
Nicole and me


Today marks the first day of my service as an OFFICIAL Peace Corps volunteer. For the occasion we all dressed up so well that we could hardly recognize each other. Before this we had only seen each other on the terms of being emotionally exhausted, physically ill or suffering from culture shock… but not today because we were presentable! Peace Corps drove us to the United States embassy which looked like heaven with luscious green lawns, swimming pool, tennis courts and commissary grocery store.

Me and Theresa
During our ceremony three volunteers gave speeches in their respective language: Orion in Oromyifa, Bernard in Tigrinya and Jessica in Amharic. Judging by the faces in the crowd, I was not the only one who was impressed by how well the speeches went. Gobezwoc! (smarties). Afterwards the U.S. ambassador of Ethiopia, Donald Booth spoke for some time about his steadfast support of the US Peace Corps mission and his respect for those who volunteer. As he was glorifying us for leaving our comfortable lives at home, full of people who we love and adore and job opportunities that permit frivolous expenses I became a bit emotional. When I was applying to PC I remember being really wound up about the idea thinking it was bold and wondering if I had the courage to actually go through with it. As I submitted my application I recall my stomach being in nervous knots. I recall my sweaty palms and jittery legs that accompanied me through my interview in Seattle, and my hysterical reception (good and bad for all 3 countries I was invited too) as I received my blue invitation packet in the mail.

Since my arrival in country the novelty of my commitment has been subdued by the reality that life here is the same, just a bit more colorful. I don’t feel unique or clever for becoming a Peace Corps volunteer. However, as we recited our oath, with our right hand facing the ambassador I began to tear up. I had sort of forgotten how amazing my journey here has been. For at least 4 years I have intended to be a Peace Corps volunteer, as I wanted to live outside of my own country to be a member of the global community. For me, this experience was one that would offer abundant amounts of humility, vulnerability and homesickness, but in return I would learn to become more cultured, patient and sensitive to the needs of others. Not an hour goes by when I don’t miss my incredible family and friends, the snow covered peaks of the Cascade Mountains or easy access to chocolate chip cookies, but even with this there is no place I would rather be right now than Ethiopia. 

I am beyond proud to be PC Ethiopia’s 2nd Environmental volunteer group. I am serving alongside 20 very intelligent, motivated and quirky people ranging from the ages of 22 – 63. We come from many backgrounds, ethnicities, and socio-economic classes but we all share the same desire to serve our country and the people of Ethiopia, to bridge the cultural gaps by building friendships, improving the environment and sharing skills. Now we are finally volunteers: earning vacation time, a readjustment allowance and more intimidated than ever by the daunting expectations ahead of us.

Tomorrow we are moving to our sites. My town is just a day’s drive south which is nothing compared to the 10 volunteers heading north that will be on a bus for over 2 days. We each will be in our own towns where we are not allowed to leave overnight for the first 3 months to ensure community integration, overcome homesickness and to improve our language skills. I have never been so isolated in my life! I have many friends in my community, but no one from my own culture. After some weeks, if I find some tourists wandering through my town I too might start screaming “Ferengi!!” “you, you, you!!”

I won’t have internet, and my closest volunteers are 30 km. to the east and west. This means that in between meeting everyone in town and starting to teach in the schools, I will be learning to knit, reading lots of books, writing letters, playing the harmonica and cooking everything from scratch. Wish me LUCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment