Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Taking care of Jack



27 November 2011

Unlike the United States where we purchase food exclusively for dogs or celebrate their birthdays, here in Ethiopia dogs have 2 different means of existence, both lacking any familiarity to our dog-crazed culture in the U.S.
1.       Street Dog: answers to no one, has many friends, foes and lovers. Total liberty, but comes at the cost of food insecurity and high risk of contracting contagious diseases (rabies, parvo, mange and frequent pregnancy).

2.       Guard Dog: Contained by the walls of a family’s compound, often chained to a tin dog house with a 4 ft. radius. Food and water are somewhat regular. No contact with animals outside the compound. Little to no risk of contagious diseases or pregnancy.

Then there is Jack who is lucky enough to have avoided the above mentioned realities. Jack is my family’s dog. Occasionally he is chained up during the day, but released at night to bark and chase off the night until dawn breaks. Many days Jack is not confined, but is free to mark the town in urine, harass cattle and boldly enter other dog’s compounds. He is fed regularly 2-3 times a day, mostly leftovers and plenty of injera. Jack’s happiness is apparent as he is the most friendly and clever dog I have encountered in Ethiopia. His canine intuition quickly sniffed out that I am a dog lover who, in Ethiopia, must suppress my love for 4-legged friends (a truly challenging task).


 Between cleaning and refreshing Jack’s water a few times a day, sharing snacks and 1 sided conversation in baby-talk I have released some of my pent-up compassion. Once, despite my nausea, I bravely removed a GIANT tick from the bridge of Jack’s nose. Somewhere over the past few weeks, Jack and I have established a discrete love affair. He isn’t to like me, because it is contrary to the Ethiopian macho-dog norm; and as a Peace Corps volunteer I am not permitted to interact, own or touch Ethiopian dogs due to risks of bites and diseases (rabies is a big concern in Ethiopia and as is the absence of a trauma unit in the country if I were mauled by dog). Though constrained, our mutual fondness is understood. When unleashed, Jack follows me around town making sure no man, child or goat threatens my safety. Seeing how I am the only PCT who has such a friendly, well treated pup I count myself lucky to have an outlet to exercise my dog-loving urges.

Yesterday morning Jack returned home from another full night partying with the hyenas. When he came to ask for breakfast we saw that his left eye was bloodied and swollen. It looked to me that Jack has harassed the wrong ungulate and a hoof to the eye left him the victim of karma (probably long overdue). He seemed exhausted and miserable as we fed him breakfast laced with antibiotics (good thing my mom is a nurse). He slept the day away as we faced the reality that he would now by a one-eyed, lame legged pup.

In my sympathy I began to wonder if the benefits of Jack’s lifestyle are worth the risks. Jack was a mess of blood, mucus and whimpers which was more than I could bear. If Jack is leashed day and night like most compound dogs he cannot get into fights or contract diseases, but then again he is a prisoner, day after day, year after year chained to a tin house without any physical contact from other beings and no possibility of exercise. Obviously, from Jack’s perspective it undoubtedly a better deal to be a free stud, though your ego and curiosity may quickly land you seriously injured or dead. I suppose Jack’s motto is to live everyday like it might be your last.

This morning I rushed out of the house early at 7am to go bird watching with fellow PCT Dexter, and our newly acquired friend Millian, a local tour guide and bird enthusiast. As I rushed down the hill towards the bridge south of town I notice that I had a follower. Fearing a loud-mouthed adolescent stalker, I was relieved to find Jack ready to accompany me. I tried to dissuade him from coming because dogs are notoriously bad bird watching companions, but due to our language barrier, he in Amharic and me in English, my pleas were ignored. As he jogged along beside me I noticed his limp had vanished, and he seemed in good spirits. Bird watching was successful and Jack only spoiled a couple of opportunities. Once while I was crouched watching two black African ducks begin a mating routine, Jack blocked my view and attention as if to say “are  you looking for me?! I’m right here ferengi!!!” I noticed that thought his eye was still swollen and nearly shut, his vision was still intact. After all my fuss and concern it seems that Jack has yet again escaped any injury that could damper his luxurious existence

Lucky Dog!

….and then the water fowl got frisky.

It was a splendid morning.

On a side note, today I taught my sister Nani tic-tac-toe and it has absorbed much of her day. She is a quick learner and very competitive. She has already exhausted most members of the family as partners, but she continues to beg for another round. Tomorrow if we round up more Eucalyptus seeds I think I will introduce her to checkers.

Also today I introduced beet greens to my family. Beets are commonly consumed, but the greens are always removed and fed to the goats in Ethiopia. Rich in iron, folic acid and other vitamins, neglecting to eat beet greens is truly a shame in a country where many people suffer from malnutrition.  My family loved them and I was thrilled to have more green vegetables in my diet.


After lunch, we had coffee made from beans picked from our tree only 2 days prior. Our housemaid Mame dried, roasted and ground them as we were eating lunch. Can the coffee get any fresher? It really made a difference too. Delicious, tafta fi mi’aawa!!!!  I had a small cup despite the fact my G.I. system is currently in combat against anything and everything it encounters.

1 comment:

  1. Yay Bridget!

    The dog thing is tough, right? Here they're on roofs or hang out around they're houses. And they don't want to be buddies. I made good friends with our dogs and now two of them go running with me and bark at men and sheep. Though one, Merle, has a bad following problem. She sat under my chair at the municipality and once got on a bus with me.

    I hope your animal adventures continue being friendly. No more monkey bites!

    ReplyDelete